Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My Dad's Family Tree -

My dad's father was also his uncle. So now you know how he got that "weird streak".

I will try to explain this, but even I am confused by it. Here it goes..

My Great Grandmother Elizabeth, married a man with the last name Cataldi. She was only 12 years old on her wedding day. (I know, sounds sick doesn't it, but you have to remember this was back in the 1800's). They had 3 sons, Fred, Ted, Frank and one daughter they named Mary, this is my grandmother. I have met Uncle Ted and Uncle Frank many times. But I never got to meet my Uncle Fred. He was killed as a POW in World War II.

Great Grandpa Cataldi died, not sure when or how. A few years after his death, my Great Grandmother Elizabeth remarried a man with the last name Giraulo. He had 3 sons from his previous marriage. Their names were Reed, Flo, and Earl. Everyone loved Uncle Earl, he was so gentle and loving. He used to make rosaries every day. He could fix, build or mend anything. He lived as a pauper in only one room of my great grandmother’s old house. He never bought anything new. He would visit the dumps on a daily basis to see what he could take home and restore. He died with $250,000 in his bank account. He willed this money to all of his brother’s children. I believe he was a saint.

So my Great Grandmother Elizabeth is now a Giraulo. The Giraulo she married had 12 brothers. (I believe no sisters) One of his younger brothers named Floavanti, married Mary Cataldi (my grandmother). So Floavanti Giraulo, married his step-niece Mary. They had 4 beautiful children, Aunt Doll, the twins, Uncle Dick and my dad, Gene and Uncle Ted. That is how my dad’s father is also his Uncle. Step-Uncle that is…but I like to say just uncle so it freaks people out!

No comments:

Post a Comment